Beauty and the Beast


So I wish that I could be more clever when it comes to creating a title for my posts, but this was the first thing that came to mind when I thought about this picture. Now I'm sure many of you are wondering what this is a picture of, but before explaining I have to first start with a little weather report. So on Monday we had a bit of a heat wave here in Minneapolis where temps reached 40 degrees. This obviously is not normal for Minnesota especially in January. Now today is Wednesday, just 48 hours later, and the current temp is 10 degrees BELOW zero with wind chills around 40 below. So last night I ventured out into these freezing temperatures to attend a kindergarten information night at Lauren's future school. It was exciting to hear about all the great programs they have for the kids. It makes me want to be a kindergartner again. I know Lauren is going to love it! So after the visit to Lauren's school I had to make a trip to the grocery store. When I got home and started unloading groceries I noticed what you see in the picture. We have a detached garage, and the door to the garage has a window in it. While rushing to bring all the groceries in as quickly as possible so that I could escape the cold I notice the most amazing frost that I had ever seen. It was hard to capture on film, but it sparkled like a diamond. I pointed this out to Harv as he was helping bring the groceries in and so he braved the cold so that he could take a few pictures. Anyway, my point is is that even with the bitter cold here there are still a few ways to find beauty in it.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I seriously never thought I would say that freezing frost is pretty, but this picture proved me wrong. Rachel, way to stay positive in this bitter time of year. I have been freezing all morning and I haven't even left the house! I need some of your optimism to rub off so I can make it through this winter!

Lissagerl said...

Pretty cool!! I would have never known what it was, though, had you not told the story. I thought it was a couple of pieces of tile with grout in the middle. lol

Rachel said...

That is stunning! But brrr, I think now I have a better idea of the cold you're facing. How do you ever get everyone bundled to leave the house? (With a detached garage, no less...we're in the same boat.)

Amanda said...

I can't even imagine how cold that must feel! Great picture. Kindergarten is great fun! She will love it and you will be quickly replaced by the wonderful, marvelous all knowing teacher. Whatever the teacher says goes!